I admit it, I’m obsessed with Florida. So, for Valentine’s Day, I just had to make Florida sugar cookies. I love the simple taste of buttery, sweet cookies topped with pretty icing. The fun is in the decorating. So delightful, so Florida! You can get the cut out from an on-line company (below).
Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
Refrigerator Time: 3-4 hours
Baking Time: 8-10 minutes
Yields: 18-24 small cookies or 12-15 larger cookies
1 cup butter (2 sticks), room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon salt
2 ½ cups sifted flour
2 cookie sheet pans, parchment paper
1. In a mixer, cream together:
1 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
2. Then, beat in 1 egg
3. Add ½ teaspoon salt
4. Add 2 ½ cups of sifted flour (use a sifter)
6. Mix all ingredients until blended
7. Roll into a flat disc, cover with plastic
8. In refrigerator, chill dough 3-4 hours
1. Take the dough out of the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes, let sit
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
3. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough on a floured mat ¼” thick
4. Use a cookie cutter to cut the cookies or form your own
5. Place on cookie sheet with parchment paper (avoids cookie bottom from burning)
6. Bake 8-10 minutes until barely browned (I found if the cookies were more than ¼” thick, you’ll need more time)
7. Place on wired racks to cool
Frosting Your Cookies
¾ cup of sifted powdered sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 tablespoon milk
½ teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon lemon juice
1. Melt butter, combine all ingredients. Beat until smooth.
2. Add food coloring to the mixture. Add cookie decorations.
Recipe adapted from The Ann Clark Ltd., www.AnnClark.com. Cookie cutter can be ordered from same website.
Comments are closed.