Looking for something to do with zucchini? Try this perfect summer veggie delight – guaranteed to make any occasion special and ideal for your next “covered dish.” We promise that friends will beg you for this recipe. Served at room temperature or hot, it goes with any main entre, especially Florida seafood.
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 green medium Florida zucchinis (1 pound), cut in ½ inch pieces
2 yellow Florida zucchinis or squash (1 pound), cut in 1/2 inch pieces
4 scallions, thinly sliced
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
½ cup of fresh chopped dill
½ cup of chopped flat-leaf parsley
10 large eggs: 5 large whole eggs plus 5 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 medium or large Florida tomato thinly sliced
2 ounces of feta cheese, crumbled
1 deep-dish glass pie plate
· Preheat oven 325 degrees.
- At low to medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the zucchini, squash and scallions and stir for 1-2 minutes. Next, add the garlic, a teaspoon of marjoram, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently until soft and beginning to brown, about five minutes total (for all ingredients).
- Transfer zucchini/squash mixture to a large bowl and let cool.
- In smaller bowl, whisk the 5 whole eggs and the 5 egg whites. Add the chopped dill and parsley. Pour over the cooled zucchini and stir the mixture.
- Pour into a deep baking dish that has been sprayed with Pam (or use butter in absence of Pam cooking spray).
- Cover the top with sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle with feta cheese.
- Bake one hour at 325 degrees.
- Serve hot or at room temperature
Adapted from Martha Stewart’s Zucchini Pie recipe.
Comments are closed.