Roasted tomatoes are one of our favorite side dishes. There are fewer things as tasty as a fresh, locally grown tomato. Having guests for dinner? This is a real crowd-pleaser.
But is it a fruit or vegetable? The word is that the tomato is the fruit of a tomato plant, but when cooking it is used as a vegetable. Sounds good to us. Enjoy this easy recipe.
- 12 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise, cores and seeds removed
- 4 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Optional Note: 1 c. fresh basil, julienned
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Arrange the tomatoes on a sheet pan cut sides up, in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle the garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper, basil over the tomatoes. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, until the tomatoes are concentrated and beginning to carmelize. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe reprinted from The Barefoot Contessa.
Comments are closed.