August 28th is National Stuffed Green Bell Pepper Day!
Happy National Stuffed Green Bell Pepper Day! Did you know that green peppers have twice the Vitamin C of oranges and other citrus fruits? For this reason, this extra punch of Vitamin C may be helpful in preventing certain types of cancer! Are you looking for a delicious stuffed green bell pepper recipe that uses fresh Florida ingredients? Read on to learn how to make Taco-Stuffed Florida Bell Peppers from Fresh From Florida!
Also, in case you didn’t know, green bell peppers grow really well in Florida. Peppers are a heat-loving plant and Florida has plenty of heat to offer. In South Florida and some parts of Central Florida, you can grow peppers year-round. In North Florida, it’s best to grow them in the Spring and Summer months.
Taco-Stuffed Florida Bell Peppers
- 3 large Florida bell peppers, halved lengthwise, then remove the seeds
- 1 pound lean ground Florida beef
- 2 cups Florida tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup Florida zucchini, diced small
- 1 cup Florida squash, diced small
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- Lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cups Colby jack cheese, shredded (or your favorite)
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Various toppings, such as tortilla chips, sour cream, and cilantro
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Firstly, preheat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Then, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add olive oil to preheated sauté pan.
- Next, add chopped onion to the pan and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic and ground beef to the cooking onions.
- Then, brown ground beef and drain any excess fat.
- Add the lime juice, dry spices, tomatoes, zucchini, and squash; then stir to combine.
- Then, remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Add about half of the cheese to the beef mixture and stir to combine.
- Then, evenly stuff each pepper half with the beef mixture.
- Top each stuffed pepper with the rest of the cheese.
- Then, place stuffed peppers on a cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Lastly, serve warm with chips, salsa, and sour cream.
While you’re cooking, make sure to share your Florida Stuffed Green Bell Peppers with us after using the recipe using #AuthenticFlorida! Learn more from Fresh From Florida here! Looking for even more delicious Authentic Florida recipes? You can check out all of our Authentic Florida recipes here!
Comments are closed.